Monday, May 26, 2008

Nationals here I come!

Woofhoo!! We are headed to Sussex, New Brunswick this coming August for the AAC National Agility Championships! Awesome logo, don't you think? (though I do think a wire fox would have been a better dog choice ;))


So this past weekend I competed in the Ontario Regional Championships and did awesome earning 445 points and qualifying for Nationals for my 3rd year in a row.

Friday - Steeplechase Qualifier
On Friday there was the Masters Steeplechase round that was the qualifier for the Sasha's Blend steeplechase finals. I was a bit off and missed the weave entry and had to come back to do it. Then just before the end of the run, I thought for sure that I saw a big piece of food so I ran over to grab it and guess what...it was just a stupid dandilion!! Mom didn't seem impressed that I left her but what is a terrier to do?! In the end I still did well and ended up getting my 9th Masters Steeplechase Q! Only 1 more to go for that title now too! We also earned 6th place which was a really pretty pink ribbon...I like pink. Unfortunately I missed out on the steeplechase finals :( Maybe at Nationals?!

Saturday - Regionals Day 1
Gamble - 6th place finish. We started our day in the gamble ring and mom was very pleased with me. I was able to get the mini-gamble once and racked up quite a bit of points. I didn't get the main gamble which was very hard as you had to go away from the tunnel and go to the teeter. I misunderstood and went back in the tunnel. If only she would show me those course sheets BEFORE the run!!! ;)
Jumpers - 13th place finish. Our next round was jumpers. There was a nasty tunnel call off after the tire jump to the tunnel that a lot of people went off course on. Mom was very worried about an off course, so she called me off by mistake prior to jumping the tire so we got a refusal fault. If she didn't do that, we would have done well as I was flying!
Standard - 6th place finish. Our last round of the day was standard. I was very hot and tired from our long day so I had slowed down. Mom kept telling me to move faster but at least I got all my contacts and the weaves! Some humans are never happy ;)

Sunday - Regionals Day 2
Jumpers - 5th place finish. Our first round today was jumpers. Mom didn't make any mistakes today and I was running at a good pace. I went clean and got a good time bonus too!
Standard - 6th place finish. Woops, I made a boo-boo on this one. I sometimes can't help myself and just don't want to touch that yellow on the contacts. So I jumped off the dog walk before the yellow so that I could get to the jump/tunnel combo quicker. I heard after that because of that, we got 5 faults and lost our time bonus...sorry mom!
Gamble - 7th place finish. This gamble was pretty hard but my mom was "thrilled" that I got the mini gamble which was tunnel out to an A-frame (I got the contact..woofhoo). We ended with some really great points but didn't get the main gamble.

So with my great individual finishes (mom says its a very competitive division these days) I came in (drumroll......) 7th place overall in my division!

I will try and post some pictures from Nationals soon.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Abbey,

I'm Smitty, a WFT from New York - I have a big sister named Jessie, a Cocker Spaniel. I found your blog through Axel's recommendation. Wow, you sure look like you're having loads of fun!

Keep it up, you're a true champion!

Your Pal,
Smitty